Saturday, August 31, 2013

Confessions



I have a few confessions to make!  We have lived in the BVI now for a year and a half and I went snorkeling for the very first time (in my life) earlier this month.  Yes, I have also been to Hawaii six times and never snorkeled there either.  I have a fear of the water.  I have some issues with claustrophobia and I was held under the water a little too long once as a child.  Growing up on the Northern California coast, the water temp requires that if you are in the water you wear a wet suit to stay warm.  Not my idea of a fun swim.  Yes, I didn’t even swim in the ocean until we moved down here last year! 

The boys really wanted snorkels for their birthday.  I thought they were a perfect gift so we got them a starter set with masks and snorkels.  They took to it immediately, even Reilly who was not even putting his face in the water yet.  We have taken them to a few spots and they have loved every trip.  A few weeks ago, we went to Brewers Bay at the suggestion of our favorite chef, Regis at Brandywine.   There is a nice reef to the left side of the bay and you do not have to go very far out to start seeing all kinds of colorful fish.  Chris and the boys snorkeled for a while, then Reilly got out to play on the beach.  Something hit me and I asked to borrow his mask and I was hooked!!  Half an hour later, all four of us were several yards out from the beach and really having a blast!






My second confession is that I am not driving here.  I have a strange fear of getting behind the wheel.  It has made it difficult to get around, especially since we live about 10 minutes from town and there are no regular busses.  I have not been able to get past it for some reason.  It is not my driving abilities, I drove a manual transmission in San Francisco for years.  Drivers here will just stop in the middle of the road to pick someone up or drop them off.  Cars regularly pass on blind corners.  Many of the “two-lane” roads and streets have enough room for one car, if you are lucky.  It makes it less appealing to me.  There are also regular occurrences like these: 



2 comments:

  1. Chrissy, I can't imagine you not driving!! Love the pictures!!!!

    Bert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two ideas - I drove on Virgin Gorda before I drove on Tortola. Just an idea. And if you can get over to Anegada to do some snorkeling, the reefs are simply stunning (although there are TONS of places even closer!),

    ReplyDelete