Monday, May 7, 2012

St. John - (not quite) a Bust!

On Sunday, Chris and I thought it would be fun to head to St. John again to explore a little more of the island.  Last time we stayed in Cruz Bay.  We were looking forward to heading to one of the beaches or to check out the Westin, which is supposed to be pretty cool.  Once again, we took the ferry from West End.

View of Soper’s Hole Marina from the platform:

Reagan enjoying the splashing waves on our ferry:

Reilly just posing for the camera:




We got to St. John just before 10:30 and thought brunch would be a great idea before heading out to explore.  On our earlier trip, we saw the menu for JJ’s Texas Coast Café and decided to give it a try this time.  While waiting for our food, this mama hen and the most chicks I’ve seen with one hen walked by (I did not get all of the chicks in the photo):

I was very excited to see huevos rancheros on the menu.  I had been craving Mexican food for a few days, so I was set.  The portion sizes for the pancakes that we ordered for the boys and the biscuits and gravy were a little lean.  I was happy though!  Though not “traditional” by any means this hit the spot:


Unfortunately, it started to pour during our lunch and we made the decision to head back to Tortola on the 11:30 ferry.  We just did not want to be stuck in the rain for up to 5 hours (the next ferry back is at 4:30 on Sunday.)  Despite walking to the ferry in the rain, these boys were very happy:

So St. John was a bit of a bust this time.  (With the exception of the huevos I had and confirmation from one of the cooks that the chimichunga is really good, so I have something to look forward to next time!)  And although it rained for pretty much the rest of the morning and early afternoon, we did make it over to Long Bay for some beach time late in the day. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking at Reagan's windswept locks, I have to disagree, St. John was not a bust! And getting good Mexican food outside of Mexico and the U.S. is a rarity. I am so glad that it was able to satisfy your cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Jone. And you are right, getting good Mexican food outside of Mexico and the Southwestern US is rare. The worst "Mexican" I ever had was in Boston!

    ReplyDelete